FREE PRESS FP The publishers permit sharing of the e-paper's pdf on WhatsApp and other social media platforms VOL. XXXVIII NO. 139 | INDORE | TUESDAY | OCTOBER 26, 2021 | PAGES 14 - Regd. No. Indore MP/ICD 216/2021-2023; EDITIONS: INDORE, BHOPAL, UJJAIN, MUMBAI, PUNE WWW.FREEPRESSJOURNAL.IN FOR 24X7 UPDATES EDIT NO DEMOCRACY CAN SUFFER TRAVESTY OF LAW Pg- 6 Lucknow, Ahmedabad are the new IPL cities STAFF REPORTER MUMBAI Kolkata tycoon Sanjiv Goenka's RPSG Ventures Limited claimed the Lucknow franchise for Rs 7,090 crore, while international equity investment firm Irelia Company Pte Ltd (CVC Capital Partners) won the bid for Ahmedabad with a Rs 5,625 crore offer as the eagerly-awaited two new Indian Premier League (IPL) teams were unveiled . in Dubai on Monday The IPL 2022 season will comprise ten teams and will have 74 matches, wherein each team will play seven home and seven away matches. The BCCI WE STAND WITH SHAMI BCCI chief Sourav Ganguly (center), board's secretary Jay Shah (left) and IPL chairman Brijesh Patel during a press conference for the announcement of the two new IPL teams in Dubai. PAST AND PRESENT CRICKETERS BACK SHAMI AFTER PACER FACES ONLINE ABUSE Former and current players including Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag and Harbhajan Singh extended support to Mohammad Shami, who was subjected to a fierce online attack following India's first-ever loss to Pakistan in World Cup history. Tendulkar eamIndia, we support tweeted on Monday: “When we support #T eam India. Md Shami11 is a every person who represents T committed, world-class bowler. He had an off day like any other eam India.” sportsperson can have. I stand behind Shami & T was expecting a windfall in the range of Rs 10,000 crore but to its surprise, earned Rs 12,690 crore Can’t hurt people’s sentiments: Mishra ATTACK ON ‘ASHRAM-3’ CREW , GOVT TO ISSUE GUIDELINES FOR SHOOTING News Brief OPS favours talk on Sasikala's re-entry MADURAI/CHENNAI: AIADMK top leader Panneerselvam on Monday said the party leadership would hold discussions and take a decision on re-admitting V K Sasikala in the party.The party coordin-ator's remark, which virtually reversed the party's official line, has given rise to opposition with D Jayakumar stating that it was Panneerselvam who had launched a 'Dharma Yudham' against Sasikala and her clan in 2017. Nine test Covid positive on city INDORE: As many as nine cases of Covid positive were found in the city on Monday. At least 5860 people were tested on the day. Rate of positive patients was recorded at 0.15 percent. With this, the total number of positive patients reached 153211. No death was reported on Monday. As many as 20 patients are getting treatment in the city. T otal 151800 patients have been discharged so far with two patients discharged on Monday. BSF man held from Bhuj HQ for spying for Pak BHUJ: A Border Security Force (BSF) personnel deployed in Gujarat's Bhuj battalion was arrested by the Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) for allegedly working as a spy for Pakistan and passing on secret and sensitive information to the neighbouring country over WhatsApp, the ATS said on Monday. The arrested BSF man, identified as Mohammad Sajjad, is a native of Sarola village in the Rajauri district of the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir, who was deployed in the 74 BSF Battalion at Bhuj in July 2021, the ATS said in a release. Sajjad was arrested at the BSF headquarters in Bhuj. OUR STAFF REPORTER BHOPAL A day after Bajrang acDal tivists ransacked the of set Ashram-3 and beat up its crew members and threw ink on director-producer Praksh Jha, Home Minister Narottam Mishra said on Monday that the state government will introduce changes in its policy giving permissions for film shoots in the state. “New guidelines will be drafted regarding film shoots in the state ,” he declared. “No one will be allowed to portray Hindu culture in a bad manner.” He said under new guidelines, the director would have to submit the script to the government to ensure that the sentiments of the people are not hurt. Mishra also objected to the title of the web series. “Why do they always portray Hinduism and Hindu Gods in a wrongful manner? They don't have the courage to do the same with other religions,” he said. A group of religious leaders have also come out against Prakash Jha and Ashram-3, which is being shooting in the Arera Hills area of Bhopal. On Mon- Diggy blames CM, HM for attack P Digvijaya Singh Shivraj Mblamed CMand HM Singh Chouhan Narottam Mishra for attack on the crew. Reacting over the violence, he said, “Now Bhopal which has become a popular shooting destination for filmmakers has witnessed violence by Bajrang Dal goons. Jha is a critically acclaimed filmmaker. Shouldn’t the police have provided full protection to his unit. For how long people of MP will have to tolerate goons?” he asked. day, religious leaders met MP Pragya Thakur and demanded that the shoot for the web series be stopped. Sunday on Earlier, evening, several Bajrang Dal members went on the rampage on the set of Ashram-3, claiming the web series was hurting the sentiments of Hindus. The Bhopal Police, meanwhile, have arrested four people. Confirming the arrest, the DIG, Bhopal, Arshad Wali, said: “The situation is under control now. We have assured the director and members of his team that they are safe here.” He added that the incident was being investigated. Withdraw objectionable Karwa Chauth ad or face action: HM BHOPAL: Mishra said he has directed the state police chief to convey to Dabur India to withdraw an “objectionable” beauty product advertisement showing two women celebrating the Karwa Chauth and take legal steps if the ad is not taken back by the consumer goods maker. The statement came after the advertisement of Fem cream bleach, a product of Dabur India, showing a same-sex couple celebrating Karwa Chauth and watching each other through a sieve. “I consider this a serious matter. More so because such advertisements and clippings are made on the rituals of Hindu festivals only. They (the advertisement) showed lesbians celebrating Karwa Chauth and seeing each other through a sieve. In future, they will show two men taking ‘feras’. This is objectionable,” Mishra said. 40 booked for attack BHOPAL: Police on Monday booked over 40 persons including ‘prant sanyojak’ of Bajrang Dal in MP for their alleged attack on crew of ‘Ashram 3’ and rioting on a set on . Sunday The crew was busy shooting when a group of over 100 reached there and began sloganeering, said police. As the crew tried to speak to them, they threw ink at director Prakash Jha, pelted stones at the set and assaulted the crew on Sunday evening. The Arera Hills police said the 7 of the accused were identified as Susheel Sudele, Abhijit Rajput, Jeevan Sharma, Dilip Nanet, Karan Bijoria, and Shrawan Batham and Suneel Soni of Bhopal. Of them, . four were arrested on Monday CONTD. ON P8 Would rather talk to Kashmir's youth: Shah on Farooq seeking talks with Pak FP BUREAU NEW DELHI Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Monday said the government would rather hold talks with the youth and “brothers and sisters” of the Valley than Pakistan as suggested by National Conference president Farooq Abdullah. He also said the only intention behind repealing Article 370 was to put Kashmir and Jammu on the path of development, and people will see the “fruits of our efforts by 2024”. Shah, who arrived in Jammu and Kashmir on Saturday for his first visit since the abrogation of Article 370 in August 2019, remotely inaugurated several development projects and laid the foundation stone of some. Before beginning his Union Home Minister Amit Shah being greeted by supporters on his arrival for a public meeting, in Srinagar, on Monday speech at a function in Srinagar, the Home Minister got the bullet proof glass shield for the speaker removed. Later, he told the audience that he likes to have a “mann ki baat” with the people. “I was cursed and criticised bitterly and today , I wish to talk to you with an open heart without security and without any bullet proof glass. And, here I am in front of you,” Shah said while speaking at a heavily guarded Sher-e-Kashmir International Convention Centre. CONTD. ON P8 EMERGENCY DECLARED IN THE AFRICAN NATION Congress slams FB for becoming BJP toolkit NEW DELHI: Congress on Monday slammed Facebook for becoming a toolkit of the BJP and challenged it to take action against the party spreading fake and information of hatred through it and demanded formation of a JPC to probe its nefarious activities in India. It said the FB has not only failed to act against 40% increase in fake news in Bengal after 2019 elections and the "dangerous" groups are still instigating communal violence. It pointed out how the FB was used to spread false reports on the Assembly elections in the state. Congress' Pawan Khera said FB tryst with bias favouring its all-weather BJP ally is nothing new, pointing out how its top executive Ankhi Das had admitted the explicit support to the BJP in her deposition before a Parliamentary panel and despite her resignation, the camaraderie between FB and BJP never ended. CONTD. ON P8 Sudan PM arrested in coup; world reacts anxiously CAIRO/AP Sudan's leading general declared a state of emergency on Monday, hours after his forces arrested the acting prime minister and disrupted the internet in an apparent coup as the country was nearing a planned transition to a civilian leadership. In a televised address, General Abdel-Fat- tah Burhan announced that he was dissolving the country's ruling Sovereign Council, as well as the government led by Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok. He said quarrels among political factions prompted the military to intervene but he pledged to complete the country's democratic transition, saying a new technocrat government would US urges Sudan's military to stand down Quality at Value WEATHER 29.60c. 17.00c Sunrise : 06.28 Sunset : 05.54 ‘I WANT TO SEE MYSELF MORE SUCCESSFUL THAN MY FATHER’ Pg-14 SANJIV GOENKA-LED RPSG VENTURES WINS BID FOR LUCKNOW AT RS 7,090 CR; CVC CAPITAL CLINCHES AHMEDABAD AT RS 5,625 CR BCCI EARNED Rs 12,690 cr from 2 new teams that will take part in the 2022 IPL `3 RNI No. 38281/83 The US says the leaders of the military coup in Sudan are undermining the country's transition to democracy and should “stand down”. The US Embassy in Sudan said it calls on “all actors who are disrupting Sudan's transition to stand down, and allow the civilian-led transitional government to continue its important work to achieve the goals of the revolution”. French President Emmanuel Macron added his voice to the growing global concern over the military coup underway in Sudan. “France condemns in the strongest terms the attempted coup d'état,” Macron tweeted, after Sudan's leading general declared a state of emergency and dissolved the civilian government. lead Sudan to elections. In response to the moves, thousands flooded the streets of the capital, Khartoum, and its twin city of Omdurman to protest the apparent military takeover. Footage shared online appeared to show protesters blocking streets and setting fire to tires as security forces used tear gas to disperse them. CONTD. ON P8 from the two new teams that will take part in the 2022 edition of the IPL. CONTD. ON P8 SC stays counselling for NEET-MDS FP BUREAU/NEW DELHI Pending a decision on the OBC/EWS (economic weaker section) quota in the all-India quota for medical admissions, the Supreme Court on Monday stayed the counselling for NEET-MDS slated from Monday without its approval, after the Centre assured it not to commence the counselling before any court decision. Recording the assurance by additional solicitor general KM Nataraj, Justice DY Chandrachud and Justice BV Nagarathna warned that the “students will be in a serious problem” if the counselling takes place before the court takes a decision. On Sept 17, it had agreed to hear a batch of petitions by the students against the July 29 notice providing 27% quota to OBC and 10% to EWS category in 15% UG and 50% PG All India quota seats with effect from the current academic session of 2021. On Oct 7, the SC posed questions to the Centre on its decision to fix a limit of Rs 8 lakh a year for determining the EWS for reservation in NEET admissions. The Centre had claimed this limit was set as a matter of policy, based on National Cost of Living Index. Plea in SC to stop physical hearing in MPHC from Oct 25 NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court has been moved, challenging the Madhya Pradesh High Court's decision to revert to physical hearings from October 25 even while allowing lawyers and parties-in-person over 65 to plead for hearing through virtual mode. An application filed through advocate Sriram Parakkat stated that the cap of 65 years for extending the benefit of hybrid and virtual hearing "is creating an artificial distinction of the classification, when any counsel below the age of 65 may also fall in need of Virtual hearing for multiple reasons." It points out that the High Court had spent Rs 100 crore in buying around 1700 paid licences of Cisco Webex for smooth conduct of virtual and hybrid hearings. The application seeks to not only quash the Oct 23 circular on reverting to the physical hearing, but also to direct continuance of hybrid hearings in the HC. The plea also relied on the recent SC decision to modify its physical hearing SOP. Spl court refuses to pass blanket orders on NCB plea Central agency had sought that no cognizance or action be taken on its witness Prabhakar Sail’s affidavit BHAVNA UCHIL MUMBAI A special court on Monday said it could not pass blanket orders on the NCB's urgent plea made before it earlier in the day in the Cordelia Cruises case, which sought directions that no cognizance or action be taken on its witness Prabhakar Sail’s affidavit in which he had made serious allegations against Zonal Director Sameer Wankhede. Sail’s affidavit was not made before the court, but was a notarised affidavit that was widely discussed in the media. The NCB and Wankhede moved a special court calling the allegations in his affidavit false. The NCB sought that the court pass orders so that the probe was not interfered with and without its permission, no such pleading in the case be filed. It also sought that without the court’s permission, no action be taken on the affidavit of Sail. Judge VV Patil said considering the reliefs claimed, no such blanket orders could be passed and that it was for the concerned court or authority to pass appropriate orders at the relevant stage.The court also pointed out that the matter was sub judice before the Bombay High Court. CONTD. ON P8 KIRAN GOSAVI SURRENDER DRAMA Officers from Madiyaon PS in Lucknow, where Kiran Gosavi, a ‘witness’ in the drugs-on-cruise case was to surrender, have said that they have nothing to do with the case and will not take him into custody. Gosavi, a pvt detective who allegedly clicked a selfie with Aryan after the latter’s arrest in the drugs case and who went missing for a few days, told media that he will surrender “outside Maharashtra”. The UP Police, however, said there was no case against him in Lucknow, so there was no question of him surrendering there. Sail, former driver /bodyguard of Gosavi, has claimed that Rs 25 cr was demanded by an NCB official and others, including Gosavi, to let off Aryan. ‘Lack of coal supply forcing NRS consumers to stall operations’ AGENCIES / New Delhi Coal Consumers' Association of India urged the government to resume at least some amount of coal supply to the non-power sector, and stressed that lack of dry-fuel at the plant end is forcing many consumers in the non-regulated sector to stall their operations while several others are on the verge of closure. Non-power sector con- Couple, daughter electrocuted BHIND: A couple and their 12-year-old daughter died of electrocution and two other persons were injured when their bullockcart came in contact with a high voltage power line in Bhind district, police said on Monday . The incident took place around 8 pm on Sunday near a canal in Amar Singh ka Pura village under Umri PS, they said. A broken 11,000 KV electric wire was hanging between two poles and the victims could not see it due to darkness, DIG, Chambal Range, Sachin Atulkar said. Three persons, including a girl, died when their cart came in contact with the electric wire, he said. The deceased were identified as Shyam Singh (40), his wife Chiraiya (38) and daughter Ankita (12), another official said, adding that two other elderly family members were injured. Commissioner Ashish Saxena said an assistance of Rs 10,000 for each of the deceased was provided to the family . sumers, including captive power plants, aluminium, steel, cement and sponge iron have long been facing an acute shortage of coal as supply via rail mode was halted from most of the subsidiaries of Coal India Ltd, Coal Consumers' Association of India said in a recent letter to Coal Secy Jain. “The ministry is requested to look into the matter empathetically as resumption of at least some amount of coal supply to the non-power sector would be pivotal for the sustenance of the industries at present,” the letter said. The situation, it said, has further worsened as supply to the non-regulated sector (NRS) consumers has been completely halted via road mode as well. The coal companies are also refrained from conducting any further e-auctions of coal where the non-power sector can participate. CONTD. ON P8 HC JUDGES’ APPOINTMENT Contempt petition on Centre for ‘delay’ FP BUREAU NEW DELHI A contempt petition has been filed in the Supreme Court registering protest that the Central government was sitting over and delaying its decision on 11 names proposed for appointment as high court judges by the Supreme Court Collegium. In its petitioner, the Advocates Association, Bengaluru has contended that the Centre's conduct is in violation of the mandate laid down in the 2019 judgment of PLR Projects. It says after the Supreme Court Collegium headed by the Chief Justice of India reiterates a name for appointment as a judge, such appointment should be processed and appointment should be made within three to four weeks. In a related development, the Centre on Monday notified the transfer of Justice Joymalya Bagchi back to his parent high court, the Calcutta High Court, from Andhra Pradesh High Court where he is currently serving. The notification comes after the collegium had on September 16, recommend- Centre's conduct is in violation of the mandate laid down in the 2019 judgment of PLR Projects. ed his transfer back to Calcutta High Court. Justice Bagchi was transferred to the Andhra Pradesh High Court in January this year. The petitioner association has contended that non-appointment of the 11 proposed as high court judges by the Supreme Court Collegium has “an adverse impact on the rule of law, which has been held to be a part of the basic structure of the Constitution”.