PAKISTAN FIGHT BACK AGAINST SA IN THE FINAL TEST Pg 10 Fast News PTI Kids in traditional Punjabi attire for Lohri celebrations in Amritsar. YES BANK APPOINTS BRAHM DUTT NEW DELHI: Yes Bank, India's fourth largest private sector bank, on Saturday said that it has appointed Brahm Dutt as non-executive part-time chairman to the board. Dutt has been on the board of the bank since July 2013 as an independent director, and has contributed to almost all the sub-committees of the board over the past 5.5 years, Yes Bank said in a regulatory filing. He is currently also the Chair of the Nomination and Remuneration Committee. During his career in the IAS for 37 years, he held several posts in Karnataka government as well as in the Central Government. Before retirement from the service, he worked as Secretary in the Cabinet Secretariat and in the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways for over three and half years. BSP LEADER THREAT GOES VIRAL RAMGARH: Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) leader Jagat Singh stoked controversy as he threatened to respond to stones with an AK-47. Jagat Singh, the son of senior Congress leader Natwar Singh, made the statement at a rally in Ramgarh, Rajasthan. In a video, which is now viral on social media, Jagat can be heard saying, "Where was BJP when our 200 boys were in danger, I went there to save them. I'm not going to turn my back or stay quiet. If there is fire, I will take the first bullet on my chest. Be it Narendra Modi, Vasundhara Raje or Ashok Gehlot, I will answer stones with AK-47 and send all of them away (Goli chalegi toh pehli goli mere seene mein lagegi. Pathar ka jawaab, AK47 ke sath karta hoon main. Toh aajao Ashok ji, aajao Modi ji, aajao Vasundhra ji, sabko peti pack karke bhejunga.)" ISIS: NIA ARRESTS MAN FROM UP NEW DELHI: The National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Saturday said that it has made a fresh arrest from Ghaziabad in Uttar Pradesh in connection with its probe against an ISISinspired group, which was allegedly planning suicide attacks and serial blasts, targeting politicians and government installations, in Delhi and other parts of north India. The agency also conducted fresh searches on Saturday at three locations in Meerut, Hapur and Ghaziabad in connection with the latest arrest. An agency spokesperson said Muhammad Absar (24) was arrested by NIA sleuths from Hapur on Friday night. With the latest arrest, the NIA has nabbed 12 people so far in this connection. GABBARD IN 2020 PRESIDENTIAL RUN WASHINGTON: Tulsi Gabbard, the first Hindu elected to US Congress and a four-time Democratic lawmaker, has said she will run for President in 2020, becoming the latest member of her party to challenge Republican President Donald Trump. Gabbard, 37, said she will formally announce her candidacy within a week. The Iraq War veteran is the second woman after Senator Elizabeth Warren to enter the presidential race from the Democratic party. "But the main reason I'm running has to do with an issue that is central to the rest — war and peace. I look forward to talking with you more about this in the coming days. When we stand together, united by our love for each other and for our country, there is no challenge we cannot overcome," she wrote in an email sent to her supporters. VOL. 30 NO. 38| MUMBAI, PUNE, INDORE, BHOPAL SUNDAY| JANUARY 13, 2019| 10+8=18 PAGES SP, BSP will contest 38 seats each in UP; Congress kept out of alliance HUGGING ON THE WAY OUT? We just ended the season of cheer on a tentative note; parties now sport a cautious mood, displacing the traditional cheer… ANUPAMA CHANDRA takes stock of how people can hug in the year after #MeToo But the parties will not field candidates in Amethi, Rae Bareli, which are represented by Congress AGENCIES Lucknow/New Delhi Once arch-rivals Samajwadi Party (SP) and Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) announced on Saturday their tie-up in Uttar Pradesh for the 2019 Lok Sabha polls, sharing 38 seats each and keeping the Congress out of the alliance. The parties, however, said they would not field candidates in Amethi and Rae Bareli, represented by Congress president Rahul Gandhi and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi. They also left two seats out of the 80 in the state for smaller allies, without naming them. 10% upper caste quota bill gets President's nod AGENCIES / New Delhi President Ram Nath Kovind has given his assent to the constitutional provision to provide 10-per cent reservation in government jobs and education to economically backward section in the general category . A notification issued by the Ministry of Law and Justice said Saturday that the Constitution (103 Amendment) Act, 2019 has received the assent of the president. The notification said the Act will come into force from a date to be announced by the government later The Act amends Articles . 15 and 16 of the Constitution, by adding a clause which allows states to make "special provision for the advancement of any economically weaker sections of citizens". These "special provisions" would relate to "their admission to educational institutions, including private educational institutions, whether aided or unaided by the state, other than the minority educational institutions". MARATHI SAHITYA SAMMELAN Protests spill over to 2nd day The second day of the 92nd Akhil Bharatiya Marathi Sahitya Sammelan in Yavatmal on Saturday was also , marked by a protest with participants wearing black ribbons. On the first day au, thors, writers and the audience wore 'Nayantara Sahgal' masks. The controversy was sparked off by withdrawal of the invitation extended to Sahgal for the literary gathering. CONTD. ON P6 LUCKNOW: "You know who is my choice. Uttar Pradesh has given prime ministers in the past and trend will be repeated again," said Samajwadi Party (SP) chief Akhilesh Yadav on Saturday when asked whether he will support Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) supremo Mayawati. Akhilesh and Mayawati held a joint press conference on Saturday announcing an alliance in the upcoming General elections and fighting 38 Lok Sabha constituencies each in Uttar Pradesh. "I want to congratulate and thank Mayawati for forming the SP-BSP alliance. In the last five years under the leadership of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), the atrocities done by them on poor, farmers, MSMEs, Dalit, women and children are unimaginable. In Uttar Pradesh, the BJP government has spread hatred amongst the people," he added. Choice between Majboor & Majboot govt, says PM OUR BUREAU New Delhi PM Modi on Saturday blasted the Opposition parties to forge an alliance "against one individual (himself)" and asserted that they want to install a "majboor sarkar" (weak, helpless government) to indulge in scams and corruption even in waiver of farmers'' loans as against a "majboot" (strong) government that strengthens the nation. He cited a recent CBI special court judgment in Mumbai in the Sohrabuddin encounter case to assert that the previous Congress-led UPA government tried its best to usurp false cases to put him in jail when he was the Gujarat chief minister and even succeeded to put BJP President Amit Shah in jail for a while. In an 80-minute long valedictory address to the BJP national council at the Ramlila Grounds here, he said the nation has to make ‘LS polls a fight between dictatorship, democracy’ NEW DELHI: Hitting back at PM Modi over his remarks that people have to chose between a 'majboor' (helpless) or a 'majboot' (strong) government in the upcoming general elections, senior Congress leader Manish Tewari said the fight in the upcoming general elections will be between dictatorship and democracy. the choice alike choosing a servant at home who doesn't make family members quarrel, who doesn't steal and distribute booty to relatives and who doesn't go on 2-3 months of leave. The nation has to decide about the "Pradhan Sevak" as the Prime Minister calls himself like him who is honest, works for 18 hours a day without any holiday unites , all and pulled the nation out of darkness by restoring selfconfidence among the people, he said. He said his government is doing honest efforts but he would not claim it has removed all shortcomings, asking "Why should Modi be there if everything achieved?" He was only trying to give "speed" to everything to provide better life, houses, electricity and other amenities. Modi also reminded BJP leaders assembled from across the country to chalk out the 2019 Lok Sabha poll strategy about the politics of CONTD. ON P6 Day 6 of strike: BEST now passes buck to commuters Shashank Rao undeterred, demands written assurance STAFF REPORTER / Mumbai FPJ BUREAU / Nagpur You know who is my choice: Akhilesh on Mayawati for PM candidate But there have been talks with Ajit Singh's Rashtriya Lok Dal. Making the announcement jointly with SP president Akhilesh Yadav in Lucknow, BSP chief Mayawati mocked PM Narendra Modi and BJP president Amit Shah. “This press conference will rob the guru-chela of their sleep,” she said. "I have full confidence that just as our alliance defeated the BJP in the Lok Sabha bypolls, we will crush the saffron party in the general elections," she said, referring to the BJP's defeat in Phulpur, Gorakhpur and Kairana parliamentary bypolls. CONTD. ON P6 The Brihanmumbai Electricity Supply and Transport (BEST) strike has entered its sixth day as the Brihan, mumbai Sanyukta Kamgar Kruti Samiti refused to withdraw the stir even after talks with the three-member committee appointed by the state government, on Saturday at Mantralaya. The high court had directed the state government to set up the committee on Friday “The talks . were positive, unlike the others till now. The committee members at least heard our demands. However, the strike will continue until a concrete solution to the problem is given to us in writing”, Shashank Rao told The Free Press Journal. However, the BEST administration, which is reluctant to concede the demands of the workers, has plans to hike basic fares, thereby making consumers pay for their losses. Minimum fares are expected to be hiked by 50 per cent -- from Rs 8 to Rs 12. This is being done to assimilate the additional need of 33 per cent of finance BEST will need, if the demands are accepted. Activists have slammed both BEST and BMC for this proposed hike. "Increasing the fares is wrong, because it will directly impact the ridership. Transferring the burden to the consumers is the worst move. Instead, the corporation should think of other ways to deal with this situation," said Vidyadhar Date, an activist. On Saturday the , BMC Mazdoor Union, the Port Trust, Dock and General Administration Union and Electric Supply Branch of the BEST joined the strike. Earlier on, besides Rao, the municipal commissioner Ajoy Mehta and the general manager of the BEST, Surendrakumar Bagde, met the three-member committee CONTD. ON P6 HIPPO-SIZED 'BLIP' IN UK STORE BELIEVE IT OR NOT! FPJ BUREAU Three-fourths of a 'tun' have been taken out of a garden ornament business establishment at Tunbridge Wells, UK, so to speak. Kent Police are currently investigating the case of the missing bronze cast of a hippopotamus, which went missing some time between January 9-10. “Can you help us find a large cast bronze hippopotamus stolen from a garden ornament business near #TunbridgeWells? Weighing almost three quarters of a tonne and at around two metres in length, the hippo was taken from a site in Langton Green,” tweeted Kent Police. Exactly the kind of situation which one could fearlessly describe as: Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobic.How could one steal a hippopotamus or even three-fourths of it, is the question weighing on people's minds. That no one could have seen a sculpture as enormous as this being purloined, is astounding. People have been asked to "keep their eyes open" for the two-metre-long sculpture, taken from the garden statue business Chilstone, near Tunbridge Wells. Naturally social media , went wild: One meme showed a cycling hippo. “Probably cycling along the South Downs by now, wind whistling in its ears, living the dream...” tweeted Kitakatakilburn. BBC reporter Simon Jones's stiff upper lip was evident. “Hippo stolen (words you don’t often type): a huge bronze hippopotamus has been taken The Accidental PM YOUTH CONG PROTEST OVER FILM AGENCIES Kolkata The screening of 'The Accidental Prime Minister' was stopped at two single-screen theatres and one auditorium of a multiplex chain here after protests by Youth Congress against the controversial film. "We've stopped screening of the film from today the sec, ond day after its release, apprehending (any) untoward incident after parts of a screen were torn up in a multiplex in a mall at Park Circus," Navin Chokhani, owner of single-screen Navina Cinema, said. The movie's screening was stopped, though its 2-pm show on the first day had passed off smoothly , Chokhani said. A spokesperson of Ashoka Cinema, the other single screen where the film was stopped, said, "We have decided to suspend the matinee show of 'The Accidental Prime Minister' from today in view of the agitations by some group." Demons fight, men live at peace and Gods play.The same force that is beauty also creates playfulness. Sri Sri Ravi Shankar CBI chief's removal another Rafale of Modi, asks Congress OUR BUREAU New Delhi The Congress on Saturday jumped over retired Supreme Court Judge AK Patnaik's categorical interview that "there was no evidence against (CBI chief) Alok Verma regarding corruption" and the decision of his removal was "very very , hasty noting that Verma''s ," case is proving to be yet another Rafale of Prime Minister Modi in which new facts are tumbling out every other day to sting him. Justice Patnaik was asked by the Supreme Court to monitor the inquiry it had ordered to be conducted by the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) against Verma in October. In the interview, he stressed that "what the CVC says cannot be the final word" as the high-powered committee should have applied their mind thoroughly "especially as a , Supreme Court judge (Justice AK Sikri) was there. Congress spokesman Abhishek Manu Singhvi told a press conference here Justice Patnaik's remarks warrants him to demand that the high-powered committee headed by PM Modi should 18 who voted for BJP AHMEDNAGAR MAYORAL POLLS now removed by NCP AGENCIES / Mumbai The Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) on Saturday expelled all 18 of its newly elected corporators in Maharashtra’s Ahmednagar for voting in favour of the BJP during the mayoral poll in the civic body there. The party’s Ahmednagar district chief was also removed from his post. Last month, 18 NCP corporators voted for the BJP's mayoral candidate Babasaheb Wakale leading to the latter winning despite having just 14 members in the 68-member Ahmednagar Municipal Corporation. The Shiv Sena had the highest number of 24 corporators in the civic body elections to which were held on , December 10. State NCP president Jayant Patil Saturday said these 18 corporators had defied the party's whip during the mayoral election in Ahmednagar. "They were served show cause notice and were asked to explain their action. CONTD. ON P6 MNS threatens violence if authorities don't resolve stir by Monday SUYASH DESAI / Mumbai Six days after workers of the Brihanmumbai Electricity Supply and Transport (BEST) called for a strike and with no solution in sight, the Maharashtra Navanirman Sena (MNS), which until now, had kept away from the strike, has threatened to unleash violence in Mumbai.MNS leader Sandeep Deshpande said, if the leaders, BEST and civic body do not reach a solution in support of the workers by Monday they , will teach the authorities a lesson in 'true MNS-style.' Deshpande told The Free Press Journal, "This is the official stand of the party ." from a garden-ornament business near Tunbridge Wells. It weighs in at almost three quarters of a tonne!” he tweeted. Then the long arm of the law spoke. "It weighs almost three-quarters of a tonne, so anyone taking it would have needed a "large vehicle such as a flatbed truck", PC Nick Lingham from Kent Police said. They may also have needed to lift it by "mechanical means", he further explained. In the past, it has reportedly taken five people to move the ornamental beast. CONTD. ON P6 be immediately summoned to reconsider its decision to remove Verma from the CBI. His three other demands are: • Immediately reinstate Verma as CBI chief; • His tenure be extended by 77 days that he lost from his 2-year fixed term due to the forced leave struck down by the Supreme Court; and • The high powered committee must itself examine all the charges levelled on Verma and not allow the CVC to proceed further with the inquiry as it the leak of the CVC starting the probe amounts to defame Verma. Singhvi said the way Verma was removed from the post in a midnight drama on Octobter 23 and again attempt by the Prime Minister on Wednesday night to oust him instantaneously compels him to ask: CONTD. ON P6 Earlier, while interacting with BEST workers at Wadala bus depot, Deshpande said, "Mumbaikars are suffering due to the strike, however, the intention of the workers was not to harass the citizens." The MNS had supported the BEST strike on Wednesday The families of BEST . employees had also met the MNS chief Raj Thackeray to discuss the issue, after which the party's leaders visited various bus depots to meet families of the striking BEST staffers. While interacting with employees at Wadala BEST depot on Saturday Deshpande warned , of violence and said, the Sena CONTD. ON P6 Septuagenarian beaten to death in Vasai, eight held AGENCIES / Palghar A 70-year-old man from Vasai in Palghar district was allegedly lynched by nine people over a complaint of theft he had lodged against some of them, police said. Police arrested eight persons for the incident. After the attack, the victim, Ramchandra Raut, was rushed to a hospital, where he was declared brought dead. "The accused came to Raut's house and questioned him why he had lodged a complaint with the police that some of them had stolen his pigeons. While one of them allegedly strangled him, others rained blows and kicked him," Hemant Kumar Katkar, spokesperson of Palghar district rural police, said. German WW1 submarine TOURIST ATTRACTION wreck seen off French coast AGENCIES / Paris The wreck of a World War One German submarine is gradually resurfacing on a beach in northern French after decades of being buried in the sand. The UC-61 was stranded there in July 1917. The crew flooded the vessel and abandoned it and by the 1930s the submarine had largely been buried. It is now becoming a tourist attraction again. German submarines, known as U-boats, targeted Allied shipping during World War One, sinking hundreds of vessels. Historians say the UC-61 was credited with sinking at least 11 ships, either by laying mines or by firing torpedoes. On its last journey , the submarine had left Zeebrugge in Belgium and was heading to Boulogne-sur-Mer and Le Havre to lay mines when it ran aground. The 26 crewmen surrendered to French authorities.